Friday, October 15, 2010

Farmer's Markets & SNAP

I started a new chapter today! Even though I haven't finished the previous one, I need to move on -for the sake of my brain & because I'm utilizing this new chapter as a paper in another class. This new chapter is focusing on local living economies: local food and locally owned and operated businesses.

Here is a chart I literally just finished. It shows the nineteen towns and cities in Massachusetts that offer more than one farmer's market, the population from the 2000 census, median household income for 1999, whether or not the markets accept SNAP {food stamp program in Massachusetts}, and whether or not there are winter hours available. The chart shows the relationship between farmer's markets and population, as well as farmer's markets that accept SNAP and median household income {of which there is not a strong connection, as New Bedford - the poorest of these cities - does not accept SNAP}.

It's a pretty interesting breakdown. What do you all think? Does anyone have any experience using food stamps at farmer's markets? Personally, I frequented my town's market every week & saw people, on at least 3 occasions, paying with SNAP - this is an increase from the ZERO that I saw last summer. This trend either means that more people are on SNAP due to the economy or more farmer's markets are accepting them {I'll hope its the latter}



As before, if you plan on using or re-posting this chart, just send the credit my way. No one likes a plagiarizer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails