Monday, June 14, 2010

Research Launch

The semester has finished.
The PEMCI summer program is completed.
Now, there is nothing in my way of beginning the long journey of this thesis adventure.

I woke up feeling productive, went into work, & promptly went over to
Morris Library. I had the intention of dropping off some books on sustainable tourism I have been hoarding for a few months & to see if there was anything on the general history of New Bedford to get me going.

I was correct in my skepticism that the University of Delaware Library wouldn't have too much in the way of this topic; it's outside of the state after all. I have more hope that when I head home to Massachusetts I'll be able to find much more than this unbelievably heavy tome I have been lugging around with me: History of New Bedford and Its Vicinity 1602-1892 by Leonard Bolles Ellis (Syracuse, N.Y: D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1892). It's a little ancient to say the least.

I was lucky enough, however, to check out a small, and in quite poor condition, reprint of the Diary of Rev. Moses How: An Epoch in New Bedford's Early History. Rev. Moses How was the "Pastor of the Middle Street Christian Church, New Bedford, from 1819 to 1826 and from 1837 until 1844. Chaplain of the Seaman's Bethel from 1844 until 1859" according to the first page of this booklet. There is not a date or location of publishing on this version, but the complete diary is available at the New Bedford Public Library, so I will be able to look into the remainder of the text at that location. The diary also contains fragments of Rev. How's son's journal, W.S.G Howe, dating to 1851. It was in this section that I, surprisingly, found this perfectly appropriate, excerpt:

Monday, May 24. "...At last the city authorities have commenced the sacrilegious act of levelling down 'Johnny Cake Hill.' The first charge on the ancient rock was made last Saturday afternoon. The time will not be far distant when all the landmarks so familiar to the present generation will, by the unsparing hand of Improvement be taken away from our view, and exist only in some ancient picture, or on the tablet of the brain, to be treasured up as memorials of former times...." {located on page 28 of this reprinted edition from the University of Delaware Library}

Interest in historic preservation dating back to 1851! W.S.G Howe, unknowingly {obviously}, aided in my New Bedford focused thesis 159 years earlier! I'm a huge advocate of preserving our local heritage, not just for reasons of tourism and economic development, but as a key to the empowerment of town residents. Not every town's history has to have a George Washington or an Abraham Lincoln to be considered important & worthy of saving & appreciation. Although, New Bedford has some pretty heavy history in its corner!

{image: New Bedford Port Society, Our Community}


Stay with me on this adventure as I learn more about this remarkable city's history & how, I think, it can use it's heritage to its own economic advantage!

2 comments:

  1. you must include that quote in your acknowledgements... or something. so profound. take it as a sign you are on the right path!

    -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have Kingston Heath's "The Patina of Place" about New Bedford's cultural landscape? I was looking up an article in an old issue of the Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians and saw the book review. The "New Bedford" part jumped out at me and of course I thought of your project . . .

    Great start to your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails