Monday, July 19, 2010

Ocean Explorium

When I first read about the Ocean Explorium located in the downtown/seaport area of New Bedford I had two quick thoughts:

1. This could be a good way to attract younger visitors within a commercial site {a la Boston's Aquarium}
2. This could be a terrible giant building project that is totally inappropriate in size/scale {a la Hartford's Science Center - in my opinion the building, while cool looking, just doesn't fit in. This is part of the Hartford Rising Star development initiative.}

However, when I went to visit New Bedford last Wednesday I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't go inside -it was pouring, so Memere & I did a drive by - but I'm considering visiting it next time I head down. The Explorium reused a historic building, formerly the New Bedford Institute for Savings, for this science education center. The building gets a new use & the downtown doesn't lose its authentic feel.



Visit the Explorium on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. I've been to the Ocean Explorium, and you've just got to go, especially to see their main exhibit "Science On A Sphere".

    They have nice aquarium exhibits too, and a room where toddlers can explore and learn. They even do field trips for schools and they teach teachers there too. Pretty cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I saw on their website {& on my drive-by} it looks really neat - seems like it offers more than a regular aquarium, but different things than your typical hands-on science/art center. I can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails