Saturday, July 10, 2010

Outline

A few weeks ago I made a calender, or time line, of how I wanted my research to flow this summer. I have more or less stuck to that, but I need to start writing. Start constructing paragraphs of some of the information I have found or thoughts I have had. My advisor wants an outline of my thesis on Monday. I have things in mind that I need to address, but not sure they are in a solid enough form for an outline.

Here are some of the concepts - not necessarily in order of any kind - that will need to be included in my thesis:

  • Definition of sustainability
  • How the concept of sustainability fits into the world of historic preservation
  • Definition of Heritage tourism
  • Definition of sustainable tourism
  • Definition of sustainable heritage tourism
  • Why this concept fits into New Bedford
  • The positives & negatives of local tourism currently in New Bedford
  • 5-10 suggestions for improvement - which will target things like transportation, history, farmers markets, urban gardening, etc
I think I have narrowed down the research area to the downtown, but it seems like the whole city needs to be addressed at one point or another. Sustainability, by its very definition, is also way too broad of a topic, so taht needs to be narrowed down...

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. You might also have to address, separately or within the sustainability theme, how volunteer engagement might make this project possible. The more hands are involved, the less each person has to contribute. It's the concept of crowdsourcing, applied to a local level.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails