Friday, August 27, 2010

Change of Attitude

Loving these comments on a Trip Advisor forum on New Bedford. I just wanted to share a snippet with you all, but read the whole thing here. While I'm on this train of thought...does anyone out there know the rules for citing/quoting from blogs or forums like this? I would love to utilize this information, but definitely do not want to break any rules! I would love any & all opinions.

_______________________________
By KarrieB on August 30, 2009: "For over 30 years, despite living within an hour, at one time within 20 minutes of New Bedford, I rarely went there other than to go to one of a couple of good restaurants I knew of. But today was a day of amazement when Hubbie and I went to attend an Irish music session at a pub called Hibernia Irish Pub on William St. To our surprise, this old city looked pretty good, at least around William, North Water, Center and Union streets! The whaling museum looks rehabbed and much bigger, we saw some very upscale shops (thinking of tourists here), we chatted with the owners of the new Celtic Coffeehouse on North Water and felt a great new energy all around us. I feel like a travel guide but having discouraged people on TA from spending time in New Bedford, I now wish I hadn't! I now say- go, spend a full day checking out the cool cobblestone streets and stroll around enjoying some pretty decent looking eateries and historic sites. The architecture in places like the Pub and the Coffehouse alone were awesome and were typical of what we saw of rehabbed old brick buildings. I also saw a footbridge over Rt 18 from the Union St area over to the location where the Martha's Vineyard ferry is which must have been built specifically to encourage people to spend time in the historic part of NB before or after taking the ferry to MV. No, the whole city isn't for tourists and likely never will be but there is a large enough area in the historic downtown to make it worth your trip. Enjoy!"

First response by msar1076 on August 30, 2009: "Glad you enjoyed your trip to New Bedford. I have lived there all my life. Yes, NB has a bad reputation but like you have discovered it is worth a day trip. There are good things happening. A brand new hotel is opening down on the waterfront. There are several new restaurants opening.I hear the Waterfront Grill is excellent. The Whaling musuem and the surrounding area is now considered a national park. You must have come in on Route 18. In the works they are taking out the hwy and creating a blvd so that the waterfront and downtown area are not miles apart. The overpass over the hwy has always been there. The fast ferry to MV is rather new to NB. I'd say maybe 5 yrs or so. Why drive down the Cape when you can take the ferry right from there? They offer discounts for MA residents. Now all we need is the train to Boston. I doubt that is ever going to happen. Oh the possibilities."
__________________________________

There is so much chatter going on about New Bedford all over the web! I really hope people within organizations working on New Bedford tourist realize it & get involved by reposting & commenting back! People don't go to travel agencies anymore - so this is the best way to create/alter your reputation...in my opinion at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails