Friday, August 27, 2010

Frommers

Today I am continuing working on making charts. Basically, I am visiting the top travel/trip planning websites & searching for New Bedford, Massachusetts. I break down what I find into categories {food, museums, leisure, etc. Leaving out lodging because I'm focusing on local tourism, so -day trips} and put it into a chart using iWork's Numbers {LOVE iWork by the way}. Then, within the charts, I am bolding the locations that are located within the downtown area & bolding & italicizing those located in the Whaling National Historic Park -since those are my areas of interest. Taking the top spots in these locations I will be evaluating their use of social media tools {facebook, twitter, etc}. Ultimately, trying to gain an insight into the self-marketing of these local businesses & how it affects the positive {or any really} exposure New Bedford has. Sounds kooky -hopefully it will pan out in the right way. I have 8 charts so far.

Anyways, I just messed around on Frommer's website & they have nothing listed for New Bedford {guess it's not worth visiting -sort of seems to be a popular, albeit wrong, mentality} except that it might be a good place to catch the ferry to the islands {Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Cuttyhunk, etc}. Not a bad idea, since it's easier & faster than going from Boston, but why not suggest sticking around for a few hours at least while waiting for that boat!

Side note: I think the whole Nantucket thing is a funny/interesting comparison to New Bedford. They were right up there with New Bedford for whaling back in the 19th century - really their whole economy/existence was whaling. When that died out they turned to tourism {early 20th century} & wanted to model their plan after New Bedford, who had successfully switched to manufacturing at this point. Now, a hundred or so years later, Nantucket is a popular play ground for the wealthy & a lovely day trip spot for those in the south coast area of Massachusetts, while New Bedford's reputation is, well, nonexistent outside of those in the city. I get the idea that this is beginning to change.... {for New Bedford. I don't see Nantucket's appeal changing any time soon...}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails